Sunday, May 06, 2007

Alright if you're a macho macho guy and are afraid of emo posts, steer clear from this entry!

It's been a while since I've done this, and sure it's gonna be sappy, but that's who I am, deep inside, deep deep inside, somewhere in there.. :P

I think that it's important that everyone revisits their thoughts on what love is every once in a while. You realise how your views on what it is changes based on what you've been through and probably your views on what love was when you were a child are totally different from what they are today are totally different.

If anything, it will help you consider how important it is in your life, or whether it should be? Or whether you've arrived at a place where you never thought you'd be, and maybe you should start trying to relive your dreams. Maybe you could write it down and give it your special someone and thank them for being the 'love' of your life.

Anyways, for me, love is:

1) something I have lost many times and been hurt by even more times, it's also something I haven't found yet, but know that one day all my efforts to find the right one will be worth it. I'm not looking for Ms Right Now, wrong recipient, it's Ms Right I'm looking for.
2) being just totally amazed by that person.
3) growing old together with the one that God match made me for.
4) thinking that she is the most beautiful woman in the world, even if she isn't; but to me, she is.
5) me trying my best for her everyday, and her doing the same for me.
6) commitment to stick it out till the end, trust and faith in one another, and always with hope for a better future, together.
7) specific performance of all the terms of the partership, intervivos, made while intoxicated by mutual feelings of affection (lawyer's joke). It's also something that law could never define (thank goodness for that).
8) giving, exploring, sharing sex with just that one person because she's special
9) always having someone to talk with but being just as content in our moments of silence
10) not convenience, not selfish need, not insecurity, not out of ambition, but just because she's the way she is
11) someone who knows my darkest secrets and how childish i can be but will put up with me just because she loves me
12) exploring the world and this adventure we call life in all its entirety with someone just as passionate about it as I am
13) having a happy family, me, you, and oh those incredibly-frustrating-"give me high blood pressure"-insane-"drive me crazy"-"i'm sorry we didn't use contraception"-but-"impossible not to love them" children of ours. Oh, and maybe a dog.
14) coming back home from work everyday, and knowing that I'm appreciated for me, not how much I bring home. and coming back home to the one i love.

Someone who knows the sad reality of this world, but still chooses to face it the best way she knows how; with grace, with strength, humour, intelligence, kindness, charm, and with happiness.

If you ever read this, or if I ever share this with you, thanks for making the future me so happy. I'm so glad the future me has found you, you have no idea how long he's waited for you, you are the result of answered prayer in his life his whole life, what took you so long? :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

lolz such a sweet post. hope you'll meet her someday :)

KiwiChronicles said...

hey - hmmm

Love - i think i have 3 things to add, if that's not too rude:

1. "In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." 1Jn4.10

2. Love is a teeth gritted, hard headed, tender hearted, single minded, determination to give, and give and give and give and give and give and give - seeking to honour God more than you love your spouse until you die or Jesus returns. When that fails, it is the reality of repentance and returning to your first teeth gritted...

3. Love is great, la!

Matthew said...

I think all macho macho guy who thinks being a little emotional or afraid of emo-ness should read this and learn.

I couldn't do such a list of what love is for me, especially defining love in ways where people understand what I'm saying. I am sure that the girl who'll be your future wife, she will be just as however-you-feel-about-her as you are.

Anonymous said...

"Someone who knows the sad reality of this world, but still choose[s] to face it the best way she knows how; with grace, with strength, humo[u]r, intelligence, kind[n]ess, charm, and with happiness"

I really love this line, it captures perfectly the essence of that type of girl which is so hard to find. From reading this post it's interesting to see in what ways my own conceptions of love are different from yours...

catlim86 said...

Its really intersting reading wat love it from a 'humanistic' point of view (we do that Oh so often) and comparing that to the Living word of love...

Somehow, we find it so much sweeter in this earthly love (i'm such victiM) but i think its also wise to dwell in what Love means from the bible...dunno, just a note..

when the Lord made u, He has already made someone Just for u..

De Kiwi said...

anonymous - thanks, i hope so too!

andy - haha thanks feel free to add as much as you like. would 'love' to hear what other people think love is. How have you been lah? :D

Matt - haha, u think? Some people are just uncomfortable with emo. And i wonder sometimes whether my expectations are too high, oh well, before that, i'm married to my guitar and computer!

anonymous2 - yeah, that's always been my special personal criteria :) finding someone like that is like finding a whisper amongst complete silence. Yeah, part of the reason for writing this was so that I could compare with others what my ideas of love was. Btw, sorry for all the horrendous spelling mistakes lol!

catherine - thanks! yeah i agree! sometimes our ideas of love are too centered on our own ideas and not God-centered/bible-based. That's been the cause of a couple of my break-ups. Thanks for your post!

I'm not perfect, nor are my concepts of what love is. But thankfully I'm always learning! This post is kinda just to state what love means for me at the moment, I hope to compare this with my thoughts 10 years down the track. Hopefully I won't have been jaded! ;)
Thank God that in His love, he supplies grace to us and gave his Son, not the other way around. :) Indeed, the propensity of a Christian to love comes partly from the love that he/she has experienced knowing God. We love, because He loved us first.

catlim86 said...

Amen Brother!!!






ps: just a note, ur word verification thing 'abit...' annoying AHAHHA ^-^