Thursday, May 03, 2007

Well, this is a post about DoTA. Hehe not suprising since I play DoTA so much. But yeah a lot of people love it (boys), a lot of people hate it (their girlfriends, if they have girlfriends). I personally think it's a great easy fun game to play with your mates and respect to those who have honed their skills to such a level that they make me seem like a wet-behind-the-ears newbie.

BUT this has to be said about the game. Just as in soccer, or rugby, and other sports, it brings out the worst in people. Some people become 'kiasu', some start swearing every other sentence, some people start dissing others just to be cool, some people become easily frustrated. It's not very constructive is it?

I've seen some of my good CHRISTIAN friends turn into people that I would not be too proud of. Well, that might be too harsh, it's just that I think DoTA has made them into worse people than they originally were. Some people think it's just a game you play, but when you play it almost every night, for 3 years, it's impossible to say that it hasn't affected you in some way. But I think the worst thing is the online gaming environment, Battlenet is full of really really lousy people. You want to know what geeks of the lowest low are like, all you have to do is log onto Bnet. So it's understandable that when a person goes into this environment every night, for years, that they can change. It's almost like real life isn't it?

Of course, I'll confess that I probably have also changed by DoTA. I don't know how it has changed me, although I'd love to know how you guys think it has changed me if it has. My aspiration is to change the environment, not be changed by it, and to be a good Christian witness wherever I go.

I love DoTA, it's the new chess. It's a great way for friendships to form. I've made a lot of friends. It's uber fun! I'd recommend it! But please:
i) be aware that although you are amongst real idiots, you don't have to be one. Remember what your center is. If anything, don't be changed, instead change it!
ii) remember, Christians are the salt of the Earth, don't lose your saltiness. :)

3 comments:

Chiwi said...

Yeah.. and you got me hooked too! Thank you very much!!! hm....

spanks said...

Firstly, the equivalent for girls is shopping. Scouring the mall and scoring the best bargain on the one-and-only dress... the feeling they get... is like... pushing the last tower and finishing the first rax in the nick of time as everyone respawns/teleports back.

Secondly, girls also experience something similar whilst picking lanes at the checkout and constantly checking to make sure that theirs is the fastest. Guys keep track on hero levels in the same lane and who gets what item first.

Lastly, fresh meat. There, I said it. it's out of my system now. Hookya later.

catlim86 said...

Hmm..i've always knew that everything competitive brings out the worst in humans..haha! its how should i put it, the very fact of nature.

nice way of ending it, indeed we are to be aware of who we are..
but still DOTA??! how cn u compare DOTA with Shopping?!! boggling indeed...